Sunday, March 20, 2011

Toilet Paper Roll Mini Album

Yep, you heard me correctly. I've made 4 toilet paper rolls into a mini album. Make sure to let everyone in your family know that you want to save the cardboard tube that is left over after all the paper is gone. I was lucky because we have a small trash can in the bathroom that only holds the tubes. We never actually throw anything else in there.

Start out with a 4 regular tubes and flatten them down. If you need to make the edges a little crisper, try running a ruler down the edges while applying pressure.


You should end up with something that looks like this. Each page will be 2 5/8 x 4. If you want to punch a circle in the edge to act as gripper tabs, then now is the time to do it. After you cover it with paper, it will be too big to fit in an average punch. (I had to find out the hard way, so mine doesn't have tabs).

Next, cover each tube with your choice of papers. Double sided paper makes things easier because you have so many different sides to choose from. I used 4 different double sided pages that I had just scraps of. I like to leave a little bit of the edges showing so I cut my paper 2 1/2 by 4 inches. I used wonder tape on all the edges. I usually use stick glue on my projects, but the rolls still want to curl a little. So, I used the heavy duty stuff to make sure that it would be a secure fit. Make sure that you don't glue the tubes closed. You want to leave them open so they make a pocket for your journaling cards. I then used my Binderie to make to holes and secured with small black binding rings (both products are from 7Gypsies). At this point, my album looks like this:




 Also, cut 4 extra pieces of your double sided paper to use as cards. I trimmed off half and inch and cut three holes on the outer edge of each card. Then I put the furry fibers in each hole. (After using the fur fibers, my desk looked like a lion exploded on it. It gets very messy.)




Now your album is complete and ready to be embellished. I'm planning on going to the park today with my puppy Jada and using those photos to go in here. Jada needs a little treat. She got shaved today and she was actually very calm throughout the process. Here she is... mid-shave.


I hope you enjoyed this mini album. It's so much fun to make (and funny to see people's faces when you tell them it was a toilet paper roll). Thanks for viewing!

1 comment:

Donna said...

GOOD JOB KIDDO!!!!
And I thought you said you weren't creative at making mini scrapbook albums!!! This is adorable! See you made something from virtually nothing but a few cardboard rolls and scraps of paper! LOL!
It will be really cute once you get it completed with Jadabug's pics. She looks so cute BTW.....I just love her so much!!!
Proud of you kiddo!
Donna